I think part of the issue is that treble clef is used with the
properties of the treble8. There's no distinction made between the two
and the tenor voice is essentially treated as a transposing instrument
(sounding an octave lower). That practice is used numerous times for
solo tenor voices in art songs and even in opera scores.