Patrick:

1. You are absolutely right.

2. The battle was lost, decades ago, unfortunately, although the solution
was never bass clef for separate tenor lines, it was tenor clef.  Tenor clef
fought a good fight but died in the early 20th century.

Learn to deal with it, as with all arbitrary notational conventions, of
which there are many.  (Try reading the 2nd trombone part in
most Shostakovitch symphonies symphonies - low tessitura, alto clef = leger
lines below the staff.)  No logic sometimes, just strange traditions, but
the performer has to deal with it.

Raymond Horton
Bass Trombonist, Louisville Orchestra
Minister of Music, Edwardsville (IN) UMC
Composer, Arranger
VISIT US AT rayhortonmusic.com