At 12:18 PM -0700 9/14/11, Ryan wrote:
>I think part of the issue is that treble clef is used with the
>properties of the treble8. There's no distinction made between the two
>and the tenor voice is essentially treated as a transposing instrument
>(sounding an octave lower). That practice is used numerous times for
>solo tenor voices in art songs and even in opera scores.

As someone else mentioned, solo music suitable
for EITHER sopranos or tenors is quite often
published for "high voice" without other
specifications.  And yes, a plain treble clef was
used for a long time to denote tenor voice parts,
and was in effect a transposing clef, but
everyone knew it and it didn't bother anyone.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms