At 5:22 PM -1000 9/14/11, Bruce Kau wrote:

>I think as a composer, you need to consider how
>your piece will be performed, and make it easier for the performer to
>understand, whether or not they are reading for sight-singing or not.
>The less time spent explaining everything, the better for the director.

While I agree with everything Bruce (and most
others) said, it's only fair to point out that
the original post was a complaint that the tenor
G-clef is difficult for the ACCOMPANIST to read,
not the singers.

My answer to that is that it's a skill an
accompanist simply has to master.  What actually
needs to be played in performance is always
reduced to a 2-staff piano (or organ) score, so
that should be no problem.  But reading the voice
parts in rehearsal is simply a part of the skills
needed by an effective accompanist.  The field of
"collaborative pianist," which includes
accompanying and much more, is expanding and
there are now schools that offer Masters and
Doctorates in it, but it does take an expanded
menu of skills in order to be good at it.  So dig
in and develop those skills.

John

--
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms