I put the snare parts in the same layer as the cymbals.  The guiding principle
for me seems to be - hands on one layer, feet on another.  So, when I have to
notate the high hat part played by the pedal (which is a rare occurrence), the
part is written below the staff in the same layer as the kick drum (in the
space below the staff).  Otherwise - when it's played with sticks or brushes,
it's above the staff in layer one.

That is my practice and seems relatively common, though there are variations as
to where on the staff each instrument is notated.  My experience with drummers
reading my parts is that they are quick to adapt to cymbal parts written on
slightly different lines, but they are used to the snare and kick drum parts
appearing on the third and first spaces.

Chuck

On Sep 27, 2011, at 9:06 AM, Nigel Hanley wrote:

> Is there a consensus as to whether drum parts should be written with the
> snare in the same voice/layer as the kick drum, as opposed to being part of
> the hi-hat/cymbal layer?

Chuck Israels
1310 NW Naito Parkway #807
Portland, OR 97209-316