My experience is that drummers like *everything* in their part written the same
layer -- hihat/cymbal, snare, toms, bass drum, etc -- all with stems up. It's
much easier to see how things line up that way. Most drumers do not like having
the part separated into multiple layers.

However, if you are going to separate into layers, it should definitely be
hat/cymbals in the stems-up layer, and everything else stems down. I've never
seen snare written in the cymbals layer, it (obviously) belongs to the drum
layer.

Cheers,

- DJA
-----