On Aug 30, 2012, at 1:17 AM, Eric Fiedler <eric.f.fied...@t-online.de> wrote:

> But I can't agree with you on this one. In over 40 years of teaching, I've
> found the question "Why would you want to do that" — which, by the way, comes
> across much friendlier face-to-face than in the cold world of cyberspace-text
> — to be invaluable.

I agree with Robert, Eric.  The question is not productive at all from a tech
standpoint.  First of all, because the user has already spent considerable
energy trying to do it, and in getting through to the tech support staff so
they have built up a "head of steam" so to speak.  Tech needs to bring them
down and reassure them before good information can be exchanged.  Secondly, the
question is a paternal power play that's also not productive at that point in
the interaction.

Tech support needs to figure out what the client wants to do, and explain how
it can be done.  Failing that, it's really helpful (though frustrating) for a
client to hear that tech support can't figure out how to do it.  At some point
in the conversation, it might be useful for tech support to find out "why" but
only in the context of improving the programming and only after the client has
been served.

I do agree with you, however, that in teaching the question is sometimes
useful.  Explaining why you think something is sometimes useful in learning
more about it.  Particularly if the teacher is open minded enough to empower
the student as opposed to forcing the student to adopt methods without
exploration and integration.

Dick H
OlyWa