Hi Robert,
Well, it certainly seems to have made _you_ go ballistic (or am I misreading
you?) ;-)
But I can't agree with you on this one. In over 40 years of teaching, I've
found the question "Why would you want to do that" — which, by the way, comes
across much friendlier face-to-face than in the cold world of cyberspace-text —
to be invaluable. It forces students (or anybody, for that matter) to justify
departures from a tried-and-true tradition — just in case they're on a "newness
at all costs" trip (happens a lot at a certain anti-establishment-age) where
they risk losing the many benefits of a communal tradition.
Where we _can_ agree is that when a composer/arranger has a _really good_
reason for such departures — Stravinsky liked to experiment with the placement
of music and text on the page, for instance — then Finale should let us do it.
As probably the first Finale user on this side of the pond (version 1.0;
anybody remember that wonderful nightmare?), I hadn't realized that individual
staff reshuffling was possible in earlier versions, and I completely agree with
you that it was thoughtless (to say the least) to take it away from us.
Eric
Habsburger Verlag Frankfurt (Dr. Fiedler)
www.habsburgerverlag.de
eric.f.fied...@t-online.de