At this point, I recommend we all give a moment of silence to the memory of
David Fenton. I feel sure he would have contributed something deliciously
abrasive to this conversation. Now that he is gone, I miss him.

R.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Dick Hauser <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> On Aug 30, 2012, at 1:17 AM, Eric Fiedler <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> > But I can't agree with you on this one. In over 40 years of teaching,
> I've found the question "Why would you want to do that" — which, by the
> way, comes across much friendlier face-to-face than in the cold world of
> cyberspace-text — to be invaluable.
>
> I agree with Robert, Eric.  The question is not productive at all from a
> tech standpoint.  First of all, because the user has already spent
> considerable energy trying to do it, and in getting through to the tech
> support staff so they have built up a "head of steam" so to speak.  Tech
> needs to bring them down and reassure them before good information can be
> exchanged.  Secondly, the question is a paternal power play that's also not
> productive at that point in the interaction.
>
> Tech support needs to figure out what the client wants to do, and explain
> how it can be done.  Failing that, it's really helpful (though frustrating)
> for a client to hear that tech support can't figure out how to do it.  At
> some point in the conversation, it might be useful for tech support to find
> out "why" but only in the context of improving the programming and only
> after the client has been served.
>
> I do agree with you, however, that in teaching the question is sometimes
> useful.  Explaining why you think something is sometimes useful in learning
> more about it.  Particularly if the teacher is open minded enough to
> empower the student as opposed to forcing the student to adopt methods
> without exploration and integration.
>
>
> Dick H
> OlyWa
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to