At 9:37 PM -0500 10/12/12, Robert Patterson wrote:
>
>That said, if you can't read C scores, there's a whole lot of important
>literature that is a closed book to you.


But even if you can, there is information that 
SHOULD be obvious but is hidden behind the 
concert pitch score.

Case in point.  Prokofiev, "Peter & the Wolf." 
Concert pitch score.  I recruited the wind 
section for our community orchestra, and I wanted 
to tell the clarinetist which instruments he 
would need.  But Prokofiev did not designate the 
part (in the score, which is all I had to look 
at) as either Bb or A clarinet, just "clarinet." 
He could have, easily enough, but he did not, and 
it makes a difference on the "Cat" theme.  And 
without seeing the transposed part that the 
player would have seen, the only way I could 
figure it out was to go through note by note to 
check for low Dbs!!!!  What should have been a 
simple answer to a simple question was hidden, 
and even when I found a low Db (concert) I had to 
guess that there were no instrument changes 
throughout the clarinet part.

I agree that each kind of score has its place and 
its use, but as a conductor (I was not on this 
particular concert) I want the necessary 
information in front of me on the page, and that 
means seeing the parts exactly as the players 
will see them.  Admittedly my area of special 
interest happens to be early music rather than 
atonal or non-tonal music, so my experience in 
that area is very limited.  But well over 90% of 
ALL music that's performed day in and day out IS 
tonal and does use key signatures and functional 
harmony.

And part of my frustration is the simple fact 
that even with parents who were both music 
educators, I was never exposed to the system of 9 
movable clefs (OK, 3 clefs placed in 9 different 
ways on the staff) that was used, taught, and 
understood for centuries, until I hit graduate 
school. (Except of course for alto clef, since I 
played viola from around the age of 9.)  And with 
that late start I still get thrown by soprano, 
mezzo-soprano, and baritone clefs, and have to 
decode tenor clef, all of which Nadia Boulanger 
was still teaching through the mid-20th century. 
I still have to think of mezzo-soprano clef (C on 
the 2nd line) in terms of horn in F, which I 
learned to read and transpose in junior high 
school!

John


-- 
John R. Howell, Assoc. Prof. of Music
Virginia Tech Department of Music
School of Performing Arts & Cinema
College of Liberal Arts & Human Sciences
290 College Ave., Blacksburg, Virginia 24061-0240
Vox (540) 231-8411  Fax (540) 231-5034
(mailto:[email protected])
http://www.music.vt.edu/faculty/howell/howell.html

"Machen Sie es, wie Sie wollen, machen Sie es nur schön."
(Do it as you like, just make it beautiful!)  --Johannes Brahms

_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to