I strongly doubt that Prokofiev was working with transposed scores and
editors were changing them, considering his most famous contemporaries
(notably Stravinsky and Shosty) used transposed scores. On that evidence
alone I infer that Proko wanted his scores in concert pitch.

My Dover score for Peter and the Wolf says it is A clarinet on the
Instrumentation page, although it is buried in a blob of text. Be that as
it may, I always mention the transposition where any score does, with the
additional note: sounding as written. I also list any doublings on the
instrumentation page. I think that is the clearest practice.

Prokofiev had a lot of idiosyncrasies. He always wrote English horn parts
on an alto clef, while his F horn parts divide between treble and bass
clef. (One of my comp teachers suggested writing the horn parts on
mezzo-soprano clef, since that has the same lines and spaces as F
transposition, but my skills--I must admit--do not extend to mezzo-soprano
clef, so it always confused me even though I play horn! It also seemed a
bit precious.)

Prokofiev's copyists apparently didn't know what to make of the concert
pitch horn parts. Often all the clef changes that are sensible in C but
make no sense in F are nevertheless slavishly copied in. There is also
occasional inconsistency about which horn bass clef. I remember one of
movements of Romeo and Juliet Suite uses a different bass clef than the
others (in the transposed horn parts).

Parts made from later C scores do not have these issues, but it is
interesting to see the challenges the nascent practice introduced. For
figuring out which horn bass clef, C scores are a godsend. For example,
there is one passage in the Rochberg Trio for piano, clarinet, and horn
where the part is low enough that visually it could be either. Thankfully
the score is concert pitch, so it removed any doubt about which octave he
wanted. Nevertheless, at least one very famous artist has recorded the
passage in the wrong octave. (To be fair, it may not be the artist's fault:
Rochberg could easily have changed it or clarified it after it was
recorded.)

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM, SN jef chippewa <
[email protected]> wrote:

>
> john, you can't extend your experiences with badly done concert pitch
> scores to the entire realm of concert pitch scores.  and you can't
> blame proko for modern editions of his scores.  i (don't know for
> sure but) would assume the score he submitted and the version he
> proofed for publication were transposed.
>
> >I still get thrown by soprano, mezzo-soprano, and baritone clefs,
> >and have to decode tenor clef, all of which Nadia Boulanger
> >was still teaching through the mid-20th century.
>
> well, a lot has happened since the nadia era.  make yourself a strong
> batch of coffee and look some of it up.
>
> _______________________________________________
> Finale mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale
>
_______________________________________________
Finale mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.shsu.edu/mailman/listinfo/finale

Reply via email to