On 2017-10-18 15:35, Norman Dunbar wrote:
Afternoon Paul,

On 18/10/17 14:08, Paul Vinkenoog wrote:

A number of source files in my (Windows) CVS working dir have Unix line endings though, whereas their Git counterparts have DOS endings.

That's no problem, as long as it doesn't lead to a huge number of 'changes' and log messages when such a file is committed, cluttering the history and drowning the real changes.

This is a documented feature of Git.

Github has a document about how you can set up your git client to cope
with this. The URL is
https://help.github.com/articles/dealing-with-line-endings/.

From the online "Pro Git" book, we have this from
https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Customizing-Git-Git-Configuration
(scroll down!):

core.autocrlf

Although the information about core.autocrlf is correct, the presence of the .gitattributes with "* text=auto" will enable this with the platform specific line-endings even if you don't have core.autocrlf enabled or configured.

Mark