The key word is CONTRASTING. Whatever it is we discuss, we contrast it to
that we do not discuss. Therein lies a great danger and opportunity.
Contrasting that what is a part of our knowledge with that which we do not
know we can get used to the idea of foreground and background. We utilise
trhe foreground and get lost in details among the varied components of the
foreground.
This is not the fruitful way of thinking.

It is much more productive to consider
how we delineate that what we know against that we do not know,
what we suppose to be self-evident among the symbols that we perceive in the
foreground,
what is that what we disregard, pushing it into the background,
how we can gain insight by switching between foreground and background.

Then we discover how we fool ourselves and how we create the puzzles which
we work hard afterwards to solve.

There is no way around the fact that we were duped - at the tender age of 6
years - into thinking the differences to be irrelevant and to consider the
similarities to be relevant. The differences are as relevant to a complete
description of the whole as the similarities. (I have bored you now long ago
with the repeated insistence that it is a detail which IS important which
differentiates 3+3 from 2+4 or 5+1. )

Making up - wishing for - an intellectual background in which only the
bright-coloured similarities attract our attention and we neglect the small,
grey, insignificat details of differences as irrelevant GUARANTEES continued
empty trashing of words. The relevance lies not among the details within the
contents of the foreground but in the relation of the foreground to the
background.

The difference between us and animals is that we can exchange foreground and
background and discuss how the world changes - in our perception, not
really. We can step back from the artefacts of our perceptional apparatus
and try to see white on black and not only black on white. Then we could
discuss how the world presents itself if we use TWO ways of reading the
mixture of black/white patterns.

That what is the collection of what we know and can know is delineated by
the rules by which we contrast the foreground to the background.

K.