Dear FIS colleagues,
Knowledge is a wide and interesting subject as applied to us humans. But what
about knowledge in the world of animals ?
What about an evolutionary approach to knowledge that takes into account
simpler forms of knowledge management as existing in animals ?
We Humans can consciously manage knowledge. But the performance of human
consciousness does not imply that knowledge is absent in animals. We also
manage knowledge unconsciously.
And knowledge is a personal and social construction. It is a tool we use all
the time in our everyday life to satisfy various constraints. For finding our
way in a city as well as for doing math. We acquire and use knowledge
automatically as well as consciously by introspection. But the difference is
more about complexity than about nature. In both cases we manage meaningful
information for some purpose.
Animals also have constraints to satisfy, the key one being to stay alive. Most
animals miss a conscious self to be in a position of conscious introspection
(perhaps some of our cousins like chimpanzee or bonobo have a minimum sense of
conscious self that allow them a minimum of introspection).
So I feel that the concept of knowledge deserves being addressed in an
evolutionary background in order to allow a bottom-up approach highlighting
simpler cases than human one (just to work as long as possible without the
“hard problem”, and bring it back in explicitly later). Animals are submitted
to constraint satisfaction processes as we humans are (with different
constraints coming in addition). So the foundations of knowledge look to me as
constraint satisfaction driven.
Such a bottom-up approach allows to bridge knowledge with meaning generation,
and perhaps what is available for the latter can be used for the former
(http://cogprints.org/6279/2/MGS.pdf).
Following the same thread, let me tell you also about an extension of the
notion of meaningful information to the one of meaningful representation. It is
proposed that a meaningful representation of an entity for an agent submitted
to constraints is the network of meanings relative to that entity. These
networks of meanings contain the dynamic aspect of meaning generation with the
consequences of implemented actions, as well the action scenarios with past
experiences or simulations making available anticipation performances. We are
far from the GOFAI types of representations. Such meaningful representations
are interactive and imbed the agent in its environment (more on this at
http://www.idt.mdh.se/ECAP-2005/INFOCOMPBOOK/CHAPTERS/MenantChristophe.pdf).
To echo Jose Maria, we could consider that meaningful information and
representations are somehow ‘nourishing’ knowledge.
All the best
Christophe