Dear Stan. Loet, List ...

It is simply incorrect to assume that language distinguishes our
species. Many species make use of language and, within the limits of
physiology, construct marks to communicate persistently with other
members of their species. It is the opposable thumb and other aspects
of our physical structure that enable us to write books, print,
construct libraries, etc...

The notion of "person-independent" knowledge makes little sense to me.
If there is a consistency between the knowledge that I embody and the
knowledge that Loet embodies it is due entirely to a regularity in our
personal behaviors derived from a commonality of relevant physical
structure and common habit. Common habit is still person dependent.

I have never understood the idea of "biosemiotics." This, or any other
qualified semeiotic, seems to introduce a fundamental misunderstanding
about the nature of semeiotic theory.

With respect,
Steven

--
        Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
        Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering