I personally use Eclipse / MTASC, so all code is class based. In my Flash file all symbols that need functionality have a linkage id, and almost all of my symbols are only a single frame (unless shape tweening is needed). To make the Flash compile faster, none of these symbols are linked to Classes in the Library, this is all done in the external code using Object.registerClass.

I find it a lot cleaner to have all of my code in a nice external structure, in a decent IDE. My code is all right where I need it, I can control all animation simply (using an animation / tweening library like Fuse), and I can let the designers do almost whatever they like to the Flash file without worrying about them stuffing code up. And, of course, I get decent version control on the source files.

After using this for a few months, I just wouldn't code inside the Flash IDE any more. Movieclip spaghetti is a bitter dish.

Regards,
Grant Cox

Anggie Bratadinata wrote:

Hi expert coders,

Just a simple question,
How do you develop your Flash applications? How do you write clean,
readable, and reusable codes?

The reason I'm asking this is because, so often, I got lost in
MovieClips spaghetti. Different depth/levels/timelines drive me nuts
and in the end, after reviewing my codes, I can't help re-writing
everything from scratch in order to make it much cleaner. So, on the
same project, I always work twice. :(

What I do so far is write-then-test every single function in my
codes;if it works then I'll write another function. And I tend to
write everything in a single frame.

I'd be more than happy if you, experts, can tell me the right way to
code/develop Flash applications.

TIA,
--
Anggie Bratadinata