On 8/23/06, Steven Sacks | BLITZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Experienced coders who don't want to take the time to trawl through
> possibly impenetrable code read those documents.

If you write impenetrable code, you need to reevaluate your career
choice.  If you're not willing to put forth the effort to be great at
what you do, especially in something as sensitive as programming, then
do something else for a living.  No amount of documentation can make up
for bad code, and a bad coder isn't going to write good documentation
anyway!  ;)

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Your ideal is all
very well, but in the real world there _are_ people who write
impenetrable code - who optimise when they don't need to, for example.
And who, for example, write sprawling functions. It's a d*mn sight
easier to read a bit of documentation which says 'returns this in this
circumstance, returns the other if it fails' than it is to trawl
through the code working out what's going on.

I work a great deal with other coders; with teams of coders. From what
you say, it sounds like you don't.

Ian