Well, got an update on the progress.
First off, thank you all for your participation in helping me with my problem.
Unfortunately this was a case of epic fail on my part.
movieClipOverButtonitis was the disease.

Seems the frame MC I had over the scene was blocking my button,
so the code I wrote originally, now works. Instead I took the hole the frame made for the scene to show through. Filled it with red, deleted the frame and used the red box to mask the scene.
Same effect, just no movieClip in the way... >_<

So if I wasted anyones time with this question, I deeply apologize.

Thanks again people... YOU ROCK!

Best
Karl