There might be other problems I have forgotten about (I made the switch a long time ago) - do you have any specific examples of problem areas? (You should at least be getting line numbers during errors with "permit debugging" checked - that's a huge help).

If you've already gone down the path of defining all your stage elements as properties, you'll also have to undo all that.

Another big thing is how to reach into a child-clip's properties - which the compiler won't let you do with children that aren't dynamic - unless you cast to that object's specific class, or a dynamic class (like MovieClip). So for the short term, it's probably easier to stick with MovieClip, or a custom Sprite derived class marked with dynamic, until you really get used to static typing and casting.

On the opposite side, there's getting access to parent clip's props and methods. The other coders on the list may wag their fingers at me for this - but this is how you can do it:

// in some child clip that you want to access the parent's public functions and properties
(parent as MovieClip).method();
// or
var _parent:* = parent; // I think this works..
_parent.method();

The problem with doing things this way, is you can get some pretty cryptic error messages (but that was true in AS2 as well).

I think (I can't remember how AS2 works, it's been a while), you have to change properties to be more explicit in AS3 - so if you want them to be properties they have to be preceded with `this.` in AS3, so:

// to make this accessible to parent or children
this.method = function(){}
// instead of
var method = function(){}
// or
function method(){}

// if you already have local references that don't use `this.`, you can do both
this.method = function method(){}
// or
var method = this.method = function(){} // or some value

I actually really recommend starting from scratch on some project with AS3, rather than converting an older fla. When I did that, is when I started to figure out how AS3 stuff works.

Oh, another thing is targeting Flash 9 is buggy (the MovieClip object doesn't work right). Adobe fixed it all in flash 10 though. That was the other real big headache.

Kevin N.

The FLA problem only seems to show itself when you convert an older AS2 fla from Flash 8 or lower to AS3. If you start with an AS2 fla from Flash Pro CS3 (or whichever was the first with AS3) or newer it doesn't do that.