Financially, obviously they ran their cost/market/etc analysis and came
up with those numbers.

I think one thing that is a risk play for MM is the intangible value of
the critical mass when it comes to community knowledge. Eg there are so
many Coldfusion guys that you have city level user groups all over the
world. Flex has -1- for the entire planet. :) If I were buying into a
brand new technology, and it's the greatest thing the world has ever
seen, but as far as you know you're the only one into it - then your
only source of support is the vendor. In terms of Flex dedicated sites
you've got a couple of blogs, CFlex and Flex Authority. There's a long
way to go!

Community support is critical to technology adoption. It was the second
thing my manager asked about (the first was the price), because they
didn't want to invest in a technology that hardly anyone knows - puts
too much dependence on one or two people. So to compensate for this, MM
has been providing a lot of developer support for free in this forum -
that's a huge cost when you have premium developer time spent doing a
ton of emails.

So by increasing the price, you're reducing the amount of potential
developers, knowledge sharers, activitists, evangelists, resource sites,
etc...  which will result in MM  having to continue dedicating heavy
amounts of resources towards keeping the community floating along. It'll
be interesting to see how things play out.

Here's some ideas :)
 - LoanMX to help companies pay for Flex
 - Work For Licenses Program. Dedicate your coding time towards
Macromedia projects in exchange for points that you can redeem for
discounts on s/w.

...sigh