Well after 10 years plus of AS development my feelings are that SJ isn't wrong.

We have to fend of a constant stream of complaints from users that the app is a
memory hog and slow. We tell them it will improve soon but it never does, we
tell them flash is a million times better than the alternatives, but to be
honest JavaScript has caught up and is ahead in many things.

Our app starts up at around 130Mb and reaches 250Mb before it levels out,
JavaScript apps are a fraction of that.

I hope his rant finally has some impact at Adobe and they pull there finger
out, becuase past experience has shown that years of complaining/requests/bug
reports gets nowhere then finally a rant in the face of someone who matters
gets them to shift, I have no idea why its like that but time and again thats
what happens.

For us it is probably too late as this week after SJ's rant we were told to
start planning the move away flash, the argument has been lost so badly it
wasn't even an argument this time.

For us to stay with flash, the next release would have to perform a miracle in
terms of memory and performace gains on Mac and PC.

Personally I don't think they can do it, I think they would be better of making
AS3 compile down to JavaScript. With maybe a lighterweight plugin for
somethings like video or graphics.

Whatever they really needed to realise all this a year ago with solutions to be
released now, not just smelling the coffee today.