John Wojnaroski writes:

 > > I also think that I know *too much* about the details of the aero
 > > and that pilots who don't have an in-depth understanding of aero
 > > engineering can oftentimes give better feedback than those who
 > > do.
 > >
 > Careful there, are you saying pilots who don't have aero
 > engineering backgrounds can give better feedback than pilots who
 > have aero backgrounds?? Or pilots don't have a in-depth
 > understanding of aero??

The only surviving manuscript of Beowulf was damaged in the Cotton
library fire in 1731, and some parts of it are now unreadable or have
actually crumbled away.

Fortunately, before the fire there were two transcripts made.  The
first was made by a copyist who did not understand Old English at all
and wasn't familiar with the Insular script: he made lots of stupid
errors, but he also tended to preserve unusual words and spellings
from the original.  The second was made by someone familiar with Old
English: he didn't make too many stupid, obvious mistakes, but he also
tended unconsciously to replace rare words or spellings with more
common ones.

The same problem exists in any field -- when people know what to
expect, they tend to find what they're expecting.

All the best,

David

--
David Megginson