On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 13:42:33 -0500,
David Megginson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> John Wojnaroski writes:
>
>  > > I also think that I know *too much* about the details of the aero
>  > > and that pilots who don't have an in-depth understanding of aero
>  > > engineering can oftentimes give better feedback than those who
>  > > do.
>  > >
>  > Careful there, are you saying pilots who don't have aero
>  > engineering backgrounds can give better feedback than pilots who
>  > have aero backgrounds?? Or pilots don't have a in-depth
>  > understanding of aero??
>
> The only surviving manuscript of Beowulf was damaged in the Cotton
> library fire in 1731, and some parts of it are now unreadable or have
> actually crumbled away.
>
> Fortunately, before the fire there were two transcripts made.  The
> first was made by a copyist who did not understand Old English at all
> and wasn't familiar with the Insular script: he made lots of stupid
> errors, but he also tended to preserve unusual words and spellings
> from the original.  The second was made by someone familiar with Old
> English: he didn't make too many stupid, obvious mistakes, but he also
> tended unconsciously to replace rare words or spellings with more
> common ones.
>
> The same problem exists in any field -- when people know what to
> expect, they tend to find what they're expecting.

..another classic example of this, is the breakup of WG 236,
a De Havilland 110 prototype on Saturday September 6'th 1952
at the Farnborough Airshow, UK.  About 110 000 aviators etc
watched it snap up in pieces at some 450 mph, debris killed
28, another 60 on the ground at Farnborough, was injured,
plus of course the 2 man crew, who failed to eject.

.._nobody_ saw what happened to cause the accident.

..a professional photographer filmed it from near the Cove
Radio Station, and prepped and handed a wall-load of stills
over to the investigators.  It was'nt until he was asked to
do this to the _entire_ movie, that helped confirm the initial
Euler wing skin buckling.  Details in Fred Jones "Air crash,
the clues in the wreckage", isbn 0-86379-094-1, an excellent
introduction to analytical air accident investigation.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: