Jon S. Berndt wrote:
 > If the aircraft is not aligned vertically (or nearly so), the wingtips
 > (or other contact points) will scrape and gear location will be
 > irrelevant. Indeed, at extreme angles the gear will either be
 > inaccessible or will be treated as a hard contact point. We can get
 > complicated at some point in the future. Right now all we want is to
 > be able to determine the elevation at a given lat/lon.

Ski jumps are an immediate counter example.  But again, it's not that
the compression vector is significantly non-vertical, it's that the
amount of compression is very sensitive to the direction of this
vector.  The point to doing per-gear collision detection is to account
for non-flatness of the ground plane.  That gets defeated if you treat
the gear compression configuration as a flat space normal to the
earth. :)

Really, we have a perfectly acceptable gear model for many situations
right now.  We're already getting complicated by considering per-gear
collisionn.  If we're going to do it, I'd rather we do it right.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA