Jon S. Berndt wrote:
 > Andy Ross wrote:
 > > Ski jumps are an immediate counter example.
 >
 > Modeling ski jumps are the one example I can think of - the single
 > special case - where this is important. [How many terrain polygons
 > will it take to accurately model a ski jump, anyhow?] I'm not sure I
 > want to do a complicated gear model with fidelity solely for this
 > case.

I think you misunderstand.  The FDM's gear model is simpler in this
case.  You give the scenery the position of the gear min/max
comprssion points, and it tells you where the tip really is.  There's
less work to do in the gear model, not more.

And think carefully about the simplification you propose.  Yes, it
works in most case.  But the existing code already works in most cases
-- all of the situations where we can get away with a simplified
per-gear model are *also* fine with the existing code.  There's no
point to doing the per-gear stuff if we're not going to see any
benefit.

 > Among the problems we run into with any proposed "right" approach, is
 > that the aircraft may straddle polygons and the movement from one
 > polygon to the next may result in discontinuous jumps with the surface
 > normal. I think there needs to be some smoothing there.

No need; that's what the integration algorithm is for.  Even if the
underlying implementation was smooth (a spline, say), you're only
sampling it at discreet points anyway.  You couldn't tell the
difference, so long as the difference across two samples was small.

For the specific case of a ski jump: the speed of an aircraft when it
hits the jump is about 30 m/s.  At a 120 Hz integration rate, that's a
per-sample change of 25cm, so our geometry needs to be 25cm long.  A
ski jump is about 10m long, and is axially symmetric, so that comes
out by my reconning to 40 quads (or 80 triangles) for the deck.  Not
bad at all; and the non-deck parts can of course be done at much lower
resolution.

Andy

--
Andrew J. Ross                NextBus Information Systems
Senior Software Engineer      Emeryville, CA