Hello Jon,

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 05:19, Jon Berndt wrote:
> Wow. Quite a history. Welcome. How'd you find out about FlightGear?

Actually I don't remember at this point :-).  I strongly suspect that it
was at some point of working one some scenery or something for m$fs that
wasn't working according to the docs was busily hacking in the dark
trying to get it to work and someone suggested that there was such a
thing as an open FS and how wonderful that would be.

I looked at it and even downloaded the w32 version, but never played
with it much with the problems I had with w98.  Outside of the usual
problems with m$ stuff it turned out that my micron PC133 DIMM RAM
wasn't :-(.  When I first attempted to install Mandrake 8.2 on this box,
it blew out regularly.  I remembered something an old mentor (who kept a
linux boot diskette to check RAM out) told me - if linux won't run, you
got RAM problems.

Sure enough I did, which undoubtably was the cause of the endless
corruption, BSOD and host of other problems with w98 (I promised myself
that was the the last m$ product I would have).

Incidentally, It turned out that that stepping the RAM back to 100 MHz
seems to have solved the problem.  I ran RAM tests on the box for the
better part of a day with no problems where at 133MHz it wouldn't even
make it through the quick test.  No problems since :-), but then again I
only boot w98 anymore for my scanner and CDRW.

Now, if I can just track down the missing Opengl and (?)glut libs I can
get FG up and running again here.  The stuff might be in suse, but
apparently not in M8.2 :-(.  Been reading the docs and trying to figure
out what I need to do to resolve this.

Take care, Vikki.
--
Victoria Welch, WV9K/7, SysAdmin, Embedded Systems Designer.
"Walking on water and developing software to specification