James Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> Basically, I think the currently panel method (a tree of elements we
> place) is essentially right model (i.e declarative, not just procedural
> bits of openGL). We would need quite a few custom elements in this
> approach, and NAV (map) displays are a special problem, but I think the
> other stuff is pretty doable (tapes, number fields, artificial horizon)
> in a tuneable way. And would also map closely to a XML-ified HUD.

This would work to some degree.  The biggest problem is that the 2D code
doesn't offer an option other than placing textures on rectangular polys.
This is a major problem when doing glass displays, especially the PFD.
Granted it is possible to come up with scheme for specifying polys in xml,
but it seems a lot easier to just draw them in a 3D drawing program.

In the 3D you could basically do most anything with two layers. The bottom
layer would have various shaped polys fit together like a puzzle that have
dynamic texture mapping.  The top layer would be small polys that had mostly
rotating or sliding arrows, and text overlays.

Best,

Jim