Jim Wilson wrote:
Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

1) Less effort positioning buildings (easier to move them around if need be).
Just place the origin at some landmark in the scene and place the whole thing
in one shot.

I really think we should switch over to .ssg files for scenery objects. The problem with .ac files is that we need to recalculate the normal vectors (for each object?). I've tested them with some other file formats and they all load way faster.

So long as we have a good converter, it should be fine to do that. One possibility would be to cache .ac files as .ssg files on the disk. From the modeler's perspective it is probably going to be easier to have .ac files in the base package.

I tested this one a bit today and even a LOD of 10000 meters will give good results on the SFO skyscrapers for normal (non clear sky conditions), it has just one drawback: after conversion FlightGear doesn't seem to find the textures anymore:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=2748130&forum_id=4479

Erik