Jim Wilson wrote:
> Erik Hofman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> > > 1) Less effort positioning buildings (easier to move them around if
need be).
> > >  Just place the origin at some landmark in the scene and place the
whole thing
> > > in one shot.

We will have problems with non-flat terrains. Actually, I use fgsd to
position buildings and the elevation is computed automatically from
the scenery.

I bought an image of the Financial District at TerraServer and with the
metadata provided, I was able to position this image exactly in the
scenery. Then positionning buildings is quite easy.

> > I really think we should switch over to .ssg files for scenery objects.
> > The problem with .ac files is that we need to recalculate the normal
> > vectors (for each object?). I've tested them with some other file
> > formats and they all load way faster.
>
> So long as we have a good converter, it should be fine to do that.  One
> possibility would be to cache .ac files as .ssg files on the disk.  From
the
> modeler's perspective it is probably going to be easier to have .ac files
in
> the base package.

A Blender loader would be cool too.

> > > 2) Use a single texture file containing all the textures mapped to the
various
> > > buildings in the model.  Rendering efficiency.
> >
> > That's a good idea, but after playing with ac3d a bit I still don't know
> > how to use a section of the texture for a particular object. So it's
> > making things a bit harder for model designers.
>
> Recent release(s) (this year) have a texture coordinet editor.  It's on
the
> menu.  There was actually a way to do it before,  but it was very time
consuming.

> > > Is this true that the textures get reloaded, and is there some way to
share
> > > textures between objects and not just save disk space?
> >
> > Probably yes. I had the same issue with audio files. I've managed to
> > overcome this problem by implementing a 'cache' which holds the complete
> > location of the file, and a pointer to the buffer containing the file.
> >
> > Maybe we can do this for textures also (before passing them to plib)?

Do you mean dynamic object textures are also duplicated ?

> There have been a few other reasons that I've been thinking that we should
> implement our own loader for 'ac' files.  Two big ones are overriding
texture
> file names in the xml wrapper, and having more control over the building
of
> the scene graph (plib's optimization problems).  This could be another
one.

I vote for to remove this sharp edge smoothing artefact.

-Fred