On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 17:21, Andy Ross wrote:
> Matthew Johnson wrote:
>  >    Thought I'd take a stab at this, decided to try and make a 3D
>  > rendition of the Sea Harrier, especially since we have the Harrier in
>  > FG, but without a 3D model (I think it needs one!).
>  >
>  > So far I have started by looking for a plan that I can follow, but have
>  > only found a 3 view plan for the FA2 (upgraded version with HOTASS and
>  > new radar), anyone happen to know a 3 view plan of the FRS.1 version is
>  > hiding? Failing ever finding one, what options are open?
>
> Let me pop out of hibernation for a moment to respond to
> this. [Curt/Jim/Maik: I *am* going to try out the helicopter patches
> to YASim, I promise.  Cursorily they look good, except for some
> high-level design issues that can be ironed out later via code motion.
> Feel free to commit them anyway, of course]
>
> I did the harrier flight model, and actually almost sorta got started
> on a 3D model to go with it.  The harrier is actually quite difficult
> to figure out from a 3-view, honestly.  Due to features like the
> negative camber wings, forward-slanted "elephant ear" intakes and
> protruding nozzles on the fuselage, it's very poorly represented by a
> single diagram.  I looked through a *lot* of photos, and never did
> really come up with a good plan for how to do it in blender.  Maybe
> your best bet would be to purchase a traditional plastic model, disect
> it, and use digital photos of that as your basis for 3D work.

Thanks for the input, yes its certainly quite a pain :). Especially as I
am new to 3D modeling still, but making "some" progress, especially with
the pictures I got. Getting stuck around the cockpit area

Getting stuck around the cockpit area, so will probably need help...I do
like the suggestion about the plastic model, although Wife won't :).
Especially if I spent $80 on the AirFix 1/24 Scale Sea Harrier!

Might just shelve the Shar for a bit, and start something new...Unless I
post some pics to show where I am and look for any insights (being built
using Ac3D version 4).

Again thanks Andy for the input :).

Matt