On Wed, 2003-10-15 at 22:19, Lee Elliott wrote:
> On Thursday 16 October 2003 01:21, Andy Ross wrote:
> > Matthew Johnson wrote:
> >  >    Thought I'd take a stab at this, decided to try and make a 3D
> >  > rendition of the Sea Harrier, especially since we have the Harrier in
> >  > FG, but without a 3D model (I think it needs one!).
> >  >
> >  > So far I have started by looking for a plan that I can follow, but
> have
> >  > only found a 3 view plan for the FA2 (upgraded version with HOTASS
> and
> >  > new radar), anyone happen to know a 3 view plan of the FRS.1 version
> is
> >  > hiding? Failing ever finding one, what options are open?
> >
> > Let me pop out of hibernation for a moment to respond to
> > this. [Curt/Jim/Maik: I *am* going to try out the helicopter patches
> > to YASim, I promise.  Cursorily they look good, except for some
> > high-level design issues that can be ironed out later via code motion.
> > Feel free to commit them anyway, of course]
> >
> > I did the harrier flight model, and actually almost sorta got started
> > on a 3D model to go with it.  The harrier is actually quite difficult
> > to figure out from a 3-view, honestly.  Due to features like the
> > negative camber wings, forward-slanted "elephant ear" intakes and
> > protruding nozzles on the fuselage, it's very poorly represented by a
> > single diagram.  I looked through a *lot* of photos, and never did
> > really come up with a good plan for how to do it in blender.  Maybe
> > your best bet would be to purchase a traditional plastic model, disect
> > it, and use digital photos of that as your basis for 3D work.
> >
> > Andy
>
> Yes, this is quite a tricky one to model - I started on one too but
> stopped when I found out you were working on one as I didn't want to
> intrude on your patch, as it were.

By all mean intrude on my patch, just want FlightGear to have its planes
:). Plenty of planes to last quite some time (no Spitfire yet for
instance...).

> The intakes and neg camber wing aren't too difficult to get around - I'd
> suggest doing the front fuselage as two sections, split at the intakes,
> and then join them together, to deal with the intakes.  I can't actually
> see a problem with the wings.

Main issue I am having right now is the cockpit area, just have not had
it form correctly. Loading other planes, like the P51 has not really
shown me enough to figure this out yet.

> The side nozzles were tricky though because they aren't just stuck on the
> sides of a smoothly curving fuselage.  I had a lot of trouble trying to
> get a clear idea in my mind of the shape and curves of the fuselage in
> this region and stopped work on it before I'd figured it out.

Ugh, you're challenged by this...

Anyway, I have put the ac file up here:

http://pwp.netzon.net/~stargoat/sharskel.ac

Been using the pictures that were sent earlier :). Not sure if I can
post them here (in a link of course).

Matt