[Starting a new thread, since the original is getting a little strung
 out. :)]

In an attempt to depoliticize the combat flame war as much as
possible, it's worth pointing out that, irrespective of people's
opinions on the matter, there are not a lot of "combat" features we
can really avoid implementing:

+ A missile is just another aircraft with (perhaps) a variant FDM
  configuration.  Ditto for a bomb.

+ A collision is a collision, be it with a guided missile, a partner
  in your close formation flight, or the tanker from which you are
  refueling.

+ Hydraulic/control system failures (or whatever) don't behave
  differently depending on whether the leak was caused by wear or a
  shell fragment.  Overstressed civilian aircraft have been known to
  shed ailerons, wings, or tails on occasion.

I'm sure others can come up with many more examples.  Here are the
only three "combat only" features I can actually think of which will
require code or features we don't already have:

+ Weapon damage code.  The system failures themselves can already be
  modeles (or will need to be at some point for civilian simulation).
  But computing "how much failure" results from a given event is
  something that will need to know about what a "warhead" is and how
  it differs from a bullet.

+ Gun trajectory modelling.  Even this could *almost* be done with
  generic collision code by treating each shell as a separte object
  with its own FDM (do the math -- there aren't that many shells on an
  airplane, and computers are mind bogglingly fast these days).  But
  still, the simplest gun implementation is going to be doing
  gun-specific stuff.

+ Missile homing code.  This could easily be plugged into a generic
  autopilot framework, of course.  But other than the framework
  boilerplate, this isn't likely to share code with any civilian
  autopilot implementations. :)

Beyond that, all the "combat" stuff I can think of is going to be
server-side functionality.  Stuff like radar coverage handling,
battlefield AI, etc...  is all handled more cleanly by a separate,
shared server application.

Hopefully this will help to push the flames down until someone
actually submits code to flame over.  FWIW, I'm a mild, civically
minded democrat and peacenik.  I still enjoy the occasional dogfight;
I've even been known to play Quake. :)

Andy