Jim Wilson writes:

> Norman Vine said:

Thanks for making the mailer fix :-)

> > I certainly hope you are not planning on publishing the 'position' as reported
> > by the FDM for things like collision detection and related instrumentation
> > such as a radar display with out some kind of 'adjustment'
> >

> The _only_ difference between now and what we had before is now the position
> may be reported at a fixed location on the aircraft by JSBsim.  Before it was
> reported at the _current_ center of gravity which varies according to load,
> fuel consumption, etc.

AFAIK
In most systems if an object is represented by a point location it is expected
that said location will be 'near' the center of the object in question.

In the case of radar the center point of the 'target's on-screen echo' when
extrapolated to account for the 'display properties' is most often close to
the center point of the object 'sensed'.
< I know it is really much more complicated then this but ... it is certainly
   closer to the center point then one of the extremities unless that extremity
   and the center point line up on a vector emanating from the radar >

Note this has nothing to do with how FGFS has or will do things but reflects
common practice and deviation from this will 'often' have to be accounted for.

hence my original 'kludge' comment

Cheers

Norman