I used to have texture space problems with my old Matrox G-550 video card but
since fitting a card with more ram, that's not an issue anymore.  However,
now I think I can see differences due to vertex counts.

I don't think there's a clear answer to texture space/vertex count issues, as
far as setting 'standards' is concerned.  The trend in any form of 3d
modelling that aims towards realism will ultimately result in increasing
texture space requirements and higher vertex counts and so I think the real
issue is trying to keep within current the h/w capabilities.

I don't think that modelling 'down' to the lowest common denominator is a good
answer as this will just mean that the models will look inferior when
compared with the stuff done for other flight sims, which for the most part
follow the increasing texture space/vertex count trends.

Having said that, a well crafted texture can save lots of vertices.

Level Of Detail is supported in FG but I don't know which models use it at
present - none of the ones I've done use it so far but this isn't due to a
dislike of them - for mmp scenarios they'll be essential but I've been more
concerned with getting the basic model right and there are only so many hours
in the day.

LeeE