* Andy Ross -- Thursday 27 May 2004 21:18:
> IMHO, we want to adhere to *either* the traditional toggle convention
> *or* the no-shift-means-down/shift-means-up idea.  Using a combination
> in the default mappings is confusing.  Likewise, we have other
> bindings (magnetos, flaps) that use yet another convention ("key
> pair") to indicate increase/decrease.

Toggle is undesirable for anything that doesn't necessarily give any
feedback. Especially the gear in aircrafts without gear lever and/or
control lights. Shift/No-Shift makes more sense, is more secure, and
saves the life of hundreds of virtual passengers. Side-by-side does
only work for digits and parentheses. Letters aren't guaranteed to be
side by side on every keyboard layout. Some sick people have Dvorak
keyboards!  ;-)

> > Lastly, while we're at it, get rid of any key bindings define in the
> > code and put the mappings in keyboard.xml.
>
> This is done already.  There are no more hard-coded key bindings in
> the C++ code.  Outside of bindings done for aircraft, everything is
> in keyboard.xml.

Yes. It's considered in the "true" map.pdf document, at
http://member.aon.at/mfranz/map.pdf. This is only occasionally
committed to cvs.

m.