Josh Babcock wrote:
> What about putting a node in the model xml defining what type of radar
> return the object would produce (cross section size and transponder
> y/n) and then having whatever code positions the object in the scene
> graph also register the radar data in the property tree?  That opens
> up the possibility of ground clutter and even navigation by ground
> radar.

I was thinking about this recently.  I think ground radar can come
really close just by drawing the existing terrain with special
textures.  Things like water are flat and reflect the radar beam
specularly, and are thus mostly black (maybe with a few fickering dots
to represent wave caps).  City textures should have lots of bright
spots representing the vertical sides of buildings.  Forests will be
somewhere in the middle, etc...  We can play with the existing OpenGL
lighting environment to get proper reflectivity from the large scale
terrain geometry, and the buildings and whatnot can just be "drawn"
into the radar buffer the same way.

It's likely going to be a lot of work, and have a significant
performance impact (you're rendering almost all the geometry twice per
frame, albeit into a much smaller framebuffer).  But I don't see why
it wouldn't work...

Andy