On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 18:58:16 +0100, Mat wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]@mamaloucos.com>:

> I just rang Europress publishers of the Getmapping "high in the sky"
> series (reminded by Boris's question). I spoke to Richard
> Charge their head of Sales. To be very clear this is different to what
> Boris was asking but still interesting, well at least for anyone
> interested in photo scenery for the UK.
>
> I have been asking Getmapping if it is permissible use for people to
> buy their CDs and then use the exported image in FG in a personal
> flight sim.

..wrong question; IMHO you should have said "_GPL_ flight sim." With
"personal", "open source", "freedom" etc thrown in for good measure
to get him hooked.  They have allowed "freebee personal but closed
source use", which isn't too useful for GPL Flightgear development.

> He confirmed he has checked with Getmapping and that this is OK we
> even talked about the possibility of a discount for Flightgear users.
> I then got this email.
>

> "Hi Mat,
>
> Following our conversation today I am happy for you to use High In the
> Sky products in conjunction with your "Mesh / Flight Sim" software.
> This on the basis that you do not re-engineer or alter the High In The
> Sky program code in the process and that the product will be used for
> Social and Domestic use only.

..such a _wonderful_ way of sayng "No!" to our GPL project.
Or did he say "Yes"?
What does he mean by "Social and Domestic use only"???

..do we need their program of anything?  Can we use their images
with our own software?   That would fix the legal bit.
Or, is the problem, the copyrights to their images?
Or, are these images "fair game" but "just" encrypted by their closed
source software?

> I am happy for you to recommend the High In The Sky web site for
> purchase http://www.highinthesky.com.
>
> If I can be of any further assistance with pack shots images etc
> please do not hesitate to contact me.
>
> Best regards
>
> Richard.
> Richard Charge - Sales Manager"