After setting two environment variables I was able to get simgear
0.3.7 to compile without any problems.

In bash you would set them like this:
export CFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include
export CXXFLAGS=-I/usr/X11R6/include

And I built plib 1.8.3 with help from the diffs you sent but building
from CVS worked for me without any patching.

Now FlightGear itself is another story. I had to upgrade automake in
order to run the autogen.sh script successfully.

I have not yet got FlightGear 0.9.6 to compile. Keep on getting:

-lplibfnt -lplibul -framework GLUT -framework OpenGL -framework AGL
-framework Carbon -lobjc
ld: Undefined symbols:
fntTexFont::load(char const*, unsigned int, unsigned int)
make[2]: *** [layout-test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

I will now try to get FlightGear from CVS to build. Not that I think
it will work.

--
<Arthur/>