On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:13:05 -0500, Ampere wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On December 14, 2004 10:39 pm, Oliver C. wrote:
> > What would you think about the following options:
> >
> > - Learn to Fly
> > - Quick Flight
> > - Scenario Flight
> > - Configuration or Settings
> > - Quit
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > ÂOliver C.
> I think the "Learn to Fly" option is an excellent idea.  As you have
> pointed out, the tutorial can be educational as well as keeping the
> users' interests in FlightGear.  I actually expanded on this idea a
> bit.  Tell me what you think.
>
> Here is a general idea of mine:

> - Multiple scenarios (lessons) should be grouped together to form a
> course.  Each course has a topic and objective(s), and the lessons in
> the course will teach the user about the important knowledge regarding
> the subject.  We all went through school, so this is pretty self
> explanatory and I won't make any example.

> - As the user progress through the course, he/she will be rewarded
> with experience points.  These will be useful later.

> - The last scenario of each course should be (dun dun dunnnnn) a test.
> In these tests, the user will have to complete some tasks, say: fly
> one > circuit with a cessna and land dead on the center line of the
> runway. safely.  The user will earn points on 1) safety 2) following
> regulations 3) completing the tasks.

> - When a course is passed, new course(s)/scenarios will be unlocked.
> Also, the more experience points the user has, the more aircrafts
> he/she will have access to.

.."FG-lawfully".  ;-)  Gamers obviously wanna buzz the White House in
an X-15 or in 747 formations, or touch-and-go the Space Shuttle on any
nice wee town's drag strip.  We have the Shuttle launching?

> The purpose of the above idea is not only to be educational and fun,
> but to also give motivation and provide encouragement to the users so
> that they will utilize the tutorials.  It can also prevent newbies
> from flying a 747 before he/she can handle a cessna.
>
> A user may be able to access a lot of planes due to his/her experience
> points, but it will be necessary to pass the tests before he/she can
> truly unlock these planes.  Similarly, a user may unlocked a lot of
> scenarios, but enough experience points must be gained so that the
> required aircrafts in some of the scenarios can be unlocked.
>
> Of course, being developers, we will definately want to bypass the
> above mess.  To do so, we may want to have:
> a) special codes to unlock some or everything.
> b) the ability to boot into FlightGear directly by including any
> parameters in the command line.
>
> As for the "Scenario Flight" option, I think it will be better to
> include it within the "Learn to Fly" experience or the "Quick Flight"
> option, and leave the space for an option to the multiplayer

..ahem; "traffic", "advanced flight traing" and "formation flight."  ;-)

> menu in the future.
>
> Ampere

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: