It is best to work with the native format of the model.

Updating a model using a different modeller may make it uneditable for the
other current contributors.

However, for all I know, the Hunter / Seahawk may have been made in software
other than 3DS and then exported. - In which case it would be best to get the
original source files.

Dave Martin