Hello Roberto,

Robicd wrote:

>   1st of all: F.G. is great :-)

Great, you passed the entrance exam  ;-)

> I would like to help, maybe with some simple objects around the scenery
> (buildings, aerial pictures of the terrain, some more details for the
> two airports around my city, Palermo, that's just an example).

Probably just some pictures won't help _that_ much (although I'm
convinced there is still interest in the raw images) the results you
might produce from these images are very much appreciated.
The infrasctucture for creating a central repository for scenery
objects (database and different front-ends) is currently in the works.

> And now it comes to the developer team: some hints would be very
> appreciated. I'd like to use a Windows OS because I'm sooo used to it
> (please forgive me :-) but I read that most of the tools are Unix based.
> I'd love to know that it's not a complete waste of time insisting in
> using this OS, so ...

FlightGear runs fine at least on certain Windows releases (I only tried
Win2k), TaxiDraw is available for Windows as well (don't know about
AC3D) so I don't see any obstacles regarding contribution of scenery
decoration and/or airport layouts using a Windows platform.

> p.s. there are a bunch of very interesting and detailed MS-FS scenery
> sets around (many of them are free); could it be a good starting point
> for adding details to the local (around the city of Palermo) F.G.
> scenery? Maybe it's not that difficult to convert to the F.G. format.

As I understood there are legal issues because lots of MSFS objects are
not allowed to be redistributed within a GPL-licensed package.

Cheers,
        Martin.