Erik reminded me to finish a program that I had written a while ago. It uses
the SGI Image loader/saver that I had written for KDE to optimize image files,
without changing the image contents. This is done by reducing unused layers,
using better compression, and not compressing where this actually generates
smaller images. I let this program now run over the directories
Textures{,.high}/
and Aircraft/ and got this difference:

  cvs:        223.61 MB
  recoded:    182.09 MB
  savings:     41.52 MB

Now, what does it mean? That we should change all rgb(a), and let every
cvs users sync down 182 MB? Of course, not. But paying a little more
attention to SGI images wouldn't hurt.

m.