Do the texture files _have_ to be in RGB(A) format?
I understand that lossy compression on textures is evil and wrong
(http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/jpegs_are_evil_too.html), but what about
PNG or even TIFF? These give smaller files with no information loss, and both
support alpha layers properly.

Looking at the plib documentation, it says:

Currently, only SGI format and uncompressed 8 or 24 bit BMP images are
supported - but more formats are planned for the future. Filenames ending with
'.rgb', '.rgba', '.int', '.inta', '.bw' are assumed to be SGI formatted files,
'.bmp' are in Microsoft's BMP format and '.png' are in Portable Network
Graphics format. (http://plib.sourceforge.net/ssg/state.html)

Which first says that PNG is not supported, but then implies that it is. Does
anyone know whether plib will load PNG files as textures?

Richard