On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:41:54 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Spott wrote:
>"Roberto Inzerillo" wrote:
>>
>> Please let me know about the repository.
>
> We'll announce it here as soon as we have something that works and
> looks neat enough not to disgrace ourselves  :-)

Can you elaborate, though?  Because this has been discussed here several
times over the last year and as a result, other people (e.g. me, Mat
Churchill, etc.) have been working on this as well.  I've been working
on making a site in Zope that one can upload to/download from, with the
intent of having pictures, a description, download links, and a comment
log for each item.  Mat Churchill and I had been discussing buying
hosting for it.  I'm curious what you've got in mind so I know if my
efforts are better spent elsewhere.

>> Should I consider buying a portable GPS, going in place and check what
>> the machine says? Is there a way I could use aerial/staellite pictures
>> [...]
>
> I believe others can give a more reliable comment on this. For my own
> use I tend to rely on satellite images and I so far didn't get
> disappointed. Although for some regions of our earth there are no
> pictures available for free or they probably don't contain detailed
> coordinates (see the end of the "Scenery" thread).
>
> Does anyone have experiences with portable GPS recievers ? Do they tend
> to increase the precision of their coordinate output if you remain at
> a location for several minutes ?

I've been using a portable GPS around town here for a while now.
Unfortunately, I have to be careful because I live in a metro area where
walking up to landmarks or airport facilities with a portable GPS receiver
and making notes is liable to get you stopped by the cops or worse.
Anyway, in answer to your last question, I'm not sure whether you mean to
be asking about precision or accuracy.  Precision is a fixed property of
the receiver; but as far as accuracy is concerned, yes, standing still at
a location for a while tends to improve the accuracy of the coordinates
given.

Because of the risk of hassle here if I run around with a GPS at sites
I'd wanna model, the main thing I've done with it is run around and take
measurements at clearly defined locations (e.g. intersections), and then
feed those coordinates into http://www.mapquest.com/maps/latlong.adp
and see how Mapquest does . . .basically checking Mapquest's lat/lon
accuracy.  Surprisingly (for me anyway), I've found that in this metro
area, Mapquest is consistently spot-on with its lat/lon coordinates
-- its error appears to be within the fluctuations I get from the GPS
receiver directly.  This has in turn allowed me to use Mapquest for
placement of some objects where measuring GPS coordinates directly
could get me hassled.

-c

                (remove "snip-me." to email)