Durk Talsma writes

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 08:21, Paul Surgeon wrote:
> On Tuesday, 18 January 2005 04:40, Ampere K. Hardraade wrote:
> > On January 17, 2005 02:25 pm, Paul Surgeon wrote:
> > > We already have too many "empty" 3D models in FG without working FMCs,
> > > FMSs, ECAMs, NDs, etc.
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > It will be nice if you can implement these systems, perferablely by Nasal
> > so that they can be flexible.
>
> Running Nasal code in the rendering loop to do tons of work would not be a
> very good idea in my opinion.
> I've looked through an A320 FCOM manual and it would take many thousands of
> lines of C++ to accomplish a half functional aircraft.

...[snap]...

> Unfortunately this is going to sit on the backburner for a long time as
> it's tons of work to implement, I'm already too busy with other projects
> and I doubt anybody else would be willing to tackle it in the near future.

So, are you suggesting we should do it ourselves and shift priorities? Work on
glass cockpits Instead of creating 3D models, and FDMs? Doesn't sound like
its gonna work. There are currently some really talented people working on 3D
models, but these people are not necessarily great programmers. And the
opposite is true as well. Good programmers might be lousy 3D modellers.

Nice that you guys have brought this up at this time.
Here is what I need right now(only if you are interested of course) a way of swiching
the screens on the fly preferably in XML.My idea would to be to have all the ECAM(EICAS),
PFD,ND's,I think these days they are collectivly called MFD's,in one folder with the ability to
choose which one is displayed on which screen.The idea is to work along the lines of the
livery choice for the aircraft.But from what understand the livery choice is made at runtime.
This would have to be able to be done on the fly.
We probably have about 75% of the properties we need already in FG.One little
property I would like is total fuel onboard but as I dont know how to add properties to
the property tree I have to leave it to someone else.
The other thing that is urgently need is a moving map display on an instrument.So anyone
who has an idea to marry the atlas moving map to an instrument step forward.
The main thing with a glass cockpit is do you try and display all the screens that the aircraft
can produce or do you just do the screens that the pilots would normally fly with?.
Paul what do you consider an empty cockpit, do you for instance consider the 747 an empty
cockpit and if so what instruments do you think constitutes a populated cockpit.
Do you think the 737 2D cockpit has enough instruments.
Anyway if you guys can come up with a way to do the switching on the fly I can do the
screens.

Cheers
Innis