I was getting that same No Python window in Blender 2.36, even though I had followed all of the instructions for Python 2.4 for Windows.  When I installed Blender 2.37, all of the Python stuff worked.  One thing I noticed that's a little odd in XP:  the Python instructions say to add Python to your Path in the following manner:

Right-click My Computer, choose Properties
Choose Advanced Tab, click Environment Vars
Edit the PATH variable to include C:\Python24; (put a semicolon after the var before adding this one)

Now on my version of WinXP, there was no PATH var, only PATHEXT.  These are explained as follows at http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ntcmds_shelloverview.mspx

%PATH%
 System
 Specifies the search path for executable files.

%PATHEXT%
 System
 Returns a list of the file extensions that the operating system considers to be executable.

So, I had to ADD a PATH variable with C:\Python24.  I also added .PY to the list of PATHEXT's.  Not sure if that's a necessity or not.  Anyway, now when I run Blender, it has no problem importing the .ac files.