> Partially right:
>
> http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/snaps.html
>
> Rudder is involved.

There are at least three ways of performing a snap roll that I know
of, and it depends a lot on the kind of plane which one is best. I'm
told that on manned aerobats, you usually pull elevator first (or
push, if inverted), then give full rudder, hold that until level, and
release elevator just after releasing rudder.

The second type is for most model aircraft: give full power, full
elevator, then full rudder and aileron, while reverting elevator to
centre. To recover, just let rudder go, give some opposite aileron to
stop the roll, and pull throttle back to normal. A snap performed in
this way is usually very aggressive (nothing for manned aircraft, I
believe), without extra power you would slow down considerably.

The third way is applied when you fly model aircraft made of Depron
(Shockflyers, etc.), which have extremely small surface loading. (See
my previous post for an example video of such a plane.) For those it's
usually best to give full throttle, full elevator/aileron/rudder
pretty much at the same time, and just let go to recover. In this
particular case, since rudder tends to be the most aggressive control
of all, you can't do a good-looking snap roll without it.

  Andras