On Sunday 02 December 2007, John Denker wrote:
> > The problem that I am addressing is the fact that an object can not move
> > from one position to another in an instant.
>
> Why?

Simply because it's impossible, but if it can move faster than our simulator
rate, then it does not matter. Or was this a rhetorical question. :-)

>  d) slew rate limiting in the hydraulic system ???
>   That's something yet again, not mentioned until now.
>
>  e) programmed slew rate limiting in the autopilot ???
>
> Since very few of our users have force-feedback joysticks, there
> is no realistic way to model (a), (b), or (c) ... and attempting
> to model any of those with the suggested low-pass filter is a
> bad idea ... worse than no filter at all.
>
> Item (d) makes more sense;  it should be modeled by the FDM on
> the few aircraft that actually exhibit a significant amount of
> this behavior.

This is readily possible in JSBSim. I was not aware of this when I posted my
initial RFC.

> Item (e) should be modeled within the autopilot.  Real autopilots
> are sure-as-shootin slew rate limited.

... and this is readily possible in the autopilot configuration using the
noise spike filter, where you can set the max rate of change.

--
Roy Vegard Ovesen