Erik Hofman wrote:
> James Turner wrote:
>
>> I think this is a good example of why 'using std::xxx' is potentially
>> problematic in headers (especially public library headers, i.e
>> Simgear), but fine in sources. So if I'm doing future cleanups, that's
>> the approach I'd take - remove 'using' from headers, and add it to
>> sources, unless there's only one or two uses, in which case I'll use a
>> std:: prefix.
>>
>> Equally, I'm pretty sure people avoid calling things 'string' or
>> 'vector' for exactly these reasons, so it's 99.9% unnecessary, as
>> Melchior said.
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable?
>
> Seems good to me.
To add my two cents:
I mostly favor putting "using" declarations at the top of source files instead
of using namespace qualifiers in the code. On the other hand, I would probably
use the namespace qualifer explicitly if the symbol in question is somewhat
obscure, to give the reader a clue about its source. For example, I'd never
type
std::string in code, but would probably type std::nth_element.

A middle ground, considered the best C++ style by many, is to explicitly use
only the symbols you are referencing from a namespace, instead of using the
whole namespace. This is a style and taste issue, best left to the individual
developer and circumstances. Personally, I have typed "using namespace osg;"
almost everywhere that there is a reference to Open Scene Graph symbols because
there is a tendency to use many symbols from that namespace at once, but my
thinking is now leaning towards explicit "using" declarations for individual
symbols instead.

Tim