> Hi Ron,
>
> Can I send you a copy of the model?  I'd really like to make some good
> forward progress this week, but it's not a drop everything and get it done
> today sort of thing.  Hey, I really owe you a flightgear t-shirt or mug and
> if you help out on this, then doubly so ...
>
> I did make an attempt to extract the coordinate of the center of rotation
> using ac3d (I have a licensed copy here, not that I can do much with it)
>  but what I read out of ac3d was clearly wrong when I tried to do an actual
>  animation.

Oh, that's easy.
- Load the model in AC3D
- Switch to "Vertex" Mode (Press 'v' when mouse pointer is overhead one of the
four views)
- select the vertex that should act as the rotation center (or one of the two
vertices that serve as the rotation axis)
- Hit the '>' arrow left to the "move-to" fields in the left pane
This fills the location fields with the coordinates of the vertex.
Use X as your <x> in your animation
Use Y as your <z> in your animation
use Z as your <z> in your animation, just flip the sign

That's it.

Torsten